Turn-based strategy series Age of Wonders returns this fall a decade after Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic launched. The third installment is currently in development at Dutch studio Triumph, the developer of the first two games in the series, which went on to make the Overlord games.
According to Triumph Age of Wonders 3 will mark a modern reimagining of the series, where players join a clash of kings, queens and dark lords for the spoils of an ancient paradise and will introduce unique RPG-inspired classes and specializations. Gamers will be able to craft empires of their own design, develop unique strategies and play styles.
In more detail some if the key features of Age of Wonders 3 will be,
- Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
- Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
- All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
- New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
- Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
- A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
- An epic story campaign with two playable factions; Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
- Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
- High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.
Age of Wonders 3 has an estimated late 2013 release date on PC. It will be published through digital distribution and brought to retail stores in selected territories.