It looks like Valve has finally released an update and separate Steam Chat app for iOS and Android phones. The new Steam Chat mobile app is a modernized Steam chat experience available for free.
The app includes many key features of the Steam Client desktop chat, including:
- Friends List – See who’s in game or online at a glance. Never miss an opportunity to play.
- Rich Chat – Your chats get even better with higher fidelity links, videos, tweets, GIFs, Giphy, Steam emoticons, and more.
- Invite Links – Add new friends on Steam with a link. Generate an invite link you can text or email.
- Customizable Notifications – Mobile notifications mean you’ll never miss a message or game invite. You can customize your notifications per friend, group chat, and chat channel.
- Group Chats – Get everyone on the same page. Groups make it easier to do things like stay in touch with your communities and organize game night with your best friends.
Valve: “We’re already working on improvements to the Steam Chat app, including voice chat. With Steam Chat moving to its own dedicated app, the original Steam Mobile app will see significant upgrades focused on account security. Our plans include better Steam Guard options to help securely log into your Steam account, such as QR codes and one-touch login, and improved app navigation.”